Monday, March 22, 2010

Sony Entertainment Is Evil


Hello again all my blog readers! Who am I kidding, there are literally negative amounts of people reading my blog. I don't see how that's possible but it is. Anyway, if you are one of the lucky few people to actually read my blog, you rock and roll! Seriously, take a look around, if you see anyone else, just know that you are better than them simply because you are reading my super cool kick ass blog. If there isn't anyone else around, call a friend and make sure you let them know that a guy by the name of Jeff Stansberry thinks you are better than him/her. If by some weird miracle you two are both reading my blog, just know that you are both better than Carrot Top, although you already stood a 99.9999% chance of being better than him even before reading this blog. Still, you are super duper awesome in my book so that counts for something! :)

Anyway, I was reading a news article about Sony Entertainment that really bugged me. Columbia Pictures (a division of Sony Entertainment) is having second thoughts about having Ivan Reitman direct "Ghostbusters III", even though they already inked a deal for him to return. The buzz is that Sony really wants a younger director for "Ghostbusters III" to give it a younger and hipper vibe. This is beginning to sound like the whole "Spider-Man" 4/reboot mess all over again. "Ghostbusters" and even it's sequel are considered classic films to many people. I grew up watching the "Ghostbusters" films and their animated adventures in the classic cartoon "The Real Ghostbusters". I owned many of the toys (I still do) and I even own the "Ghostbusters" theme song on CD. If you go on E-Bay, Ghostbusters items are still selling like hot cakes and the recent "Ghostbusters: The Video Game" was a huge success. Clearly, people still love the Ghostbusters the way they are. So why does Sony feel the need to change everything? Change can be good, no one is knocking change, but not all change is for the better. Making "Ghostbusters III" feel younger and hipper just seems unnecessary to me. Ivan Reitman directed "Ghostbusters" and "Ghostbusters 2", he clearly knows what he's doing. Sure, a younger director may end up making a great Ghostbusters film, but he may also screw it up. Plus, it's very stupid on Sony's part to even consider replacing Ivan Reitman as the director considering he can personally kill the film if he wishes.

In case you are wondering what I am talking about, let me explain. When the original "Ghostbusters" film was being made, Columbia Pictures inked a deal for future sequels should the film become a hit. As we all know, "Ghostbusters" and "Ghostbuster 2" were huge hits for the studio hence the desire to make a "Ghostbusters III". However, the contracts for Ivan Reitman, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis (the original director and the principal cast) allow any one of them to single handedly veto and kill any future sequels they don't like. Why would Sony risk having the project killed just so they can have their way? Probably because they are stupid bird brains (or evil, I haven't decided yet). Sony may indeed be evil, and I'm talking super evil, like Jay Leno or Paris Hilton evil, so be warned before going to see another Columbia/Tri-Star/Sony picture.

Why does Sony feel they have to target young audiences to go see all their upcoming films? When will Sony learn that every movie doesn't and shouldn't be marketed to tweens? I have no problem with tween films, Summit can make as many "Twilight" films as they want for all I care, but every movie doesn't and shouldn't be modeled after "Twilight". Does Sony honestly think that the female audience that went crazy and fell in love with "Twilight" are going to fall in love with "Spider-Man Version 2.0" or "Ghostbusters III"? I realize that Sony wants to get as many butts in the seats as possible when people go to see their films, but they aren't going to get people seeing their films when they are gearing them for the wrong audiences. I loved "Spider-Man 1-3" (yes, even the third one) and I loved "Ghostbusters 1-2", I don't love "Twilight" though. I'm not knocking it either, the books and films aren't geared for me. That's the thing though, I'm not dying to see "The Twilight Saga: Spider-Man Dawn". You know what I do want to see? That's right, "Spider-Man 4". I don't want to have to choose between Team Spider-Man and Team Green Goblin. Sony is losing their core audiences for their films by trying to cater to a different fan base that probably won't care for their new slate of films. Sony executives, here is a tip for you, leave your films alone. Until the day you Sony executives write a film or direct one, let the creative people make the movies and also make you money and leave them to make the movies, they are in good hands!

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Sony and NBC have just been really bugging me lately. I can't believe how out of touch some of the studio executives are getting. Peace out everyone and take care! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment